I suggest you ...

Allow auto-fighting

If the goal of the game is to program the "best" AI, then it would be nice to be able to set a flag on my bot, indicating it's willingness to participate in auto-matches while I'm not online. So that rather than spending my time clicking a button, watching a replay, clicking the button again, etc. I could just set my bot to fight in my absence, then come back tomorrow and see how it's getting along, see who it's lost to the most in the meantime, and adapt the code accordingly.

It sucks to have to press a button every time I want my bot to fight.

122 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Phil D.Phil D. shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Оно нимныйОно нимный commented  · 

Lets say there is some bot1, which wins bot2 in 40% of fights. With elo rating system, you need approx 5 fights to top bot2. Bot2, on contrary, does not fight back, and looses rating.
        I think something like random counterattacks should be invented, attacking 1-2 times randomly in 2-9hours interval.

• alexanderzeillingeralexanderzeillinger commented  · 

As for the scripting, one idea I can think of is to introduce a penalty timeout of some minutes after losing a fight. Or really just limit the number of fights to n times per hour.

Bernardo: write this down, unlimited fights only for prm users? ;-)

• alexanderzeillingeralexanderzeillinger commented  · 

Isaiah Berson:

I guess this would cause too much effort finding ways to avoid cheating. Fights will remain calculated on the server I'm afraid.

• Isaiah BersonIsaiah Berson commented  · 

Would it help if there were users willing to run simulations on the CPU while idle (to be submitted to the Fight Code server). I would love to have a Fight Code screensaver that ran ladder matches while I am idle.

• Bernardo HeynemannAdminBernardo Heynemann (Lead, fightcodegame.com) commented  · 

We are aware that people are scripting their way up. This is one of the reasons we did a major rewrite on the whole website. It was bringing us down every 5 mins.

Now, I definitely agree with you that scripting your way to kill the #1 player 10000 times is not a lot of fun or an engaging experience for that matter. We do want it to be, though.

That's why we are working RIGHT NOW at changing the way players score points. I've studied the ELO algorithm as well as some others (Trueskill and others) and I think we can come up with a very rewarding way of ranking players.

Stay tuned!

• Phil D.Phil D. commented  · 

Okay, as long as I don't get banned due to auto-scripting my fights. Right now, the only way to climb the leaderboard, even if you have the best AI in the world, is to fight the #1 guy about ten thousand times. The proposed ELO rating system might go some way toward fixing this issue anyway...

• Bernardo HeynemannAdminBernardo Heynemann (Lead, fightcodegame.com) commented  · 

We did toy with that idea. We were just a little worried that people would stop coming to the website.

It's not as simple as that, anyway. We would have to build both infrastructure for that as well as a consistent user interface (like who did my bot fight since my last visit and stuff like that).

So I'm not sure that's going to happen soon. We'll definitely consider it, though.

Feedback and Knowledge Base